Friday 9 December 2011

Making Space redevelopment scene

First I had to set up scenes by importing earlier made inside wall to the exterior file. Then it took a lot of time to actually place everything in right position to be ready for animating. The concept of the scene is to show how inside space of the Guildhall is going to change after restoration. Present walls are replaced by new ones. To do the transition opacity material option was used. Each wall was applied with its own wall material. Then with autokey on I changed opacity setting from 0 to 100 and to make new wall visible and from 100 to 0 to make old wall invisible. This approach was used for all walls in the scene.


Eventually I encountered a problem when trying to change opacity of present stairs and wall connected to it. This model has numerous material applied to it. Therefore I was suggested to use visibility option in object properties window. It worked perfect and was great replacement for material opacity animation as it did not require to create separate material for each object. Visibility was also used for text boxes. Text was created using text creation tool from splines menu. Then text was converted to editable poly and polygons were extrude to give shape and depth. Then as usual it was applied with uwp map and material.




As mentioned in first scene Morph tool application to material is a new thing to me. I used this material morph approach in this scene for every floor material change. I found material morphs great to switch from one object material to other one. I only changed between two materials but I noticed that various amount of materials can be used for morphing.



The camera used for a scene is Free Camera. It was animated with autokey on and moving camera in horizontal position and eventually moving towards the Guildhall for the ground floor part.

The animation switch from 1st floor view to ground floor is unnoticeable. That was made after animating everything op 1st floor. Then everything was grouped together and cut off using slice tool which worked well for this project.


Test animation was rendered to check how the animation is working out. Apparently 20 second animation that was indented originally for this scene appeared to be to short. The animation was occurring to fast making it hard to recognize what is happening. Therefore, I encountered the problem of extending 500 frame animation to 1000. First I thought that only way to do this will be by inserting more frames and then moving keyframes of every single animated object. I knew that this process would take a lot of time so I was looked for a way around it. I looked closer what time configuration has to offer and for my luck I found the Re-scale time option. This allowed me to double frame count with keyframes extended along 1000 frames aswell. It id not work perfect, as I still had to go trough timeline and adjust keyframes for some animations, but it definitely saved me great amount of time by getting most of animation to the indented places.

No comments:

Post a Comment